Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Not That We Need Anything Else to Worry About But...............

Howz about This - "Doctors brace for more cases as Indian superbug hits Canada"

"At least two Canadians have become infected with a dangerous new superbug from India that is spreading around the world, partly due to medical tourism.

The superbug, which is resistant to almost all antibiotics, has Canadian public-health experts bracing for outbreaks.

“There will be others. It’s just a matter of time,” said Dylan Pillai, a medical microbiologist at the Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion. “It’s just the nature of the beast.”

Researchers reported dozens of cases of British, Indian and Pakistani patients who contracted infections caused by bacteria harbouring an enzyme called New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase, or NDM-1, in the journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases on Wednesday."


Swell. Just what we need. I deal with
MRSA infections every single day that I work.
Back when I was in school, MRSA was the "Superbug" everyone was worried about.

Then
VRE showed up and everyones ass cheeks tightened up a little more. VRE has been the, "Thing who's name will not be spoken" in the USA. As far as I know, and I will admit, I don't stay on top of these SuperBugs, VRE has been limited in it's spread.

Like I say, as far as I know. I do know this - We need another drug resistant bug like I need another asshole.


Our government has decided to take the low road on health care. Everyone will get some but only the elite will get the best care. That's gonna be great till the decrease in funding on research along with the FDA refusal to allow new drugs on the market comes home in a few years or so.

I know that everytime I get a spot on me I immediately think I've finally hit the MRSA jackpot. Shit. That' shits treatable - now. No telling WTF it's gonna be like in a few years.

Oh well. Maybe we'll just have to go back to quarantine and avoidance. That does work but the lag time between exposure and outbreak makes it difficult to determine where or when the hell you got exposed.

My point is, there are no easy answers when dealing with these little bastard bacteria.

Carry hand sanitizer when you go out and use it after you touch doors, shopping carts, etc.

Gotta hit the sack. Work tomorrow. You'd be well served to research this sort of thing now and plan accordingly. Plan on spending a lot of time alone.

Gratuitous Picture for a Wednesday Night-