Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year to Y'all........

Well 2009 has come and gone. Not much to lament in it's passing either. Here's hoping 2010 is better.

Hope being the operative word here.
No. Not in a "Hope and Change" kinda way either. That shit ain't working out to well so far and I'm sick of hearing it.

More like a, "I Hope a small meteor hits Washington, DC while congress is in session and Changes the political landscape."

That's the kinda- "Change I can believe in."

But since that ain't real likely I guess we'll just have to keep on keeping on and see what happens.

I'm not real big on New Years Resolutions and never have been. But there are a few things I'd like to accomplish this year.
I want to get a wood burning stove installed here. I have a small stove already, but I haven't been able to afford the piping for the thing. The good shit costs a fortune. Over a hundred bucks for a 4 foot section. Ouch.

If my current budget holds up we should have all the outstanding medical bills, etc paid off in another few months. That'll leave only the house and the monthly crap that goes with it. That should free up some cash for projects like this.

Another project I have is a well here that the previous owner started, that for some reason is just sitting there. A 6 inch casing with a bucket over it. There's water in it and I've been periodically measuring the levels and it's been pretty consistent.
I'd like to develop it and see if there's a steady source of good water there. I called and talked to the former owner this Summer and he was kinda vague on why he never developed it fully. Said they broke a drill bit off in it and couldn't fish it out, etc.

He's had a stroke or 2 and seems to have some problems with his memory so I'm not sure about some of the things he told me.
I took a string and tied some washers to it and dropped in in there and it measures around 90 foot to the bottom. The water level stays between 35 and 40 foot down. I have no idea how fast the refill rate is on it at this point.
There's no reason to think that there's anything contaminating it, but if it turns out that it has good flow I'll have it tested to be sure.
Then it's just a matter of setting up a permanent pump of some sort. Electric or manual? We'll figure that out if and when we get there. A solar pump system would be titties and beer, but cost is likely to rule that out.

Fencing repair and some new fence is a wish list item. Unless I get lucky and find some cheap at an auction or something, that's not likely to happen.

Update: Not 2 hours after posting this I ran across a guy selling a pile of used metal T posts! Picked up the whole pile cheap. That's the way to start the year off.

Of course, I would like to resolve to see next year role in, but
one never knows.
I'll do my part and try not to do anything stupid.

You may not realize how big a challenge that is.

Or maybe you do!

Gratuitous Picture for New Years Day-
Think Meteors. It could happen.