Friday, March 06, 2009

HoopHouse Update.....
Basically done except for a few hardware and small trim issues.






Got the Wal-O-Waters set out and filled to day. Something chewed some holes in them while they were in storage out in the barn. So I only have 10 of them. Used all of my repair pieces, but didn't have enough to repair all of the damage.
Oh well. I'll need to order some more repair sets now.






It gets warm inside of that thing quick when the sun is out. That made me wonder if the W-o-W's might be a little overkill on days I'm not around to vent things a bit. So I'm going to experiment and plant some Tomatoes with and without the W-o-W and see how things go.


Next year I should be able to utilize this thing much earlier and perhaps put a grow tunnel in too. Maybe get some salad going all Winter with any luck. I can see that there is a lot of potential here, but I have no real clue as this is a first for me. We'll see.






As you can see, I placed a few outside to start warming up the ground for transplants. The Wal-O-Waters are really neat things. I've had tomatoes outside in March before and they kept thigs going well even in the Snow.

I did forget what a pain in the ass they are to fill. It's a good thing that you really only need to do it once a year. I'd forgotten the easiest way to do it at first.

It's surprising how much water is in each one. 2-3 gallons maybe? I spilled so much it's hard to be for sure.

It's supposed to rain for the next few days and be warm so that should make sure the ground is thawed out all the way. It's still frozen a short ways down in the shady spots.

Next week is going to be tree planting.

My tree order was supposed to be shipped in April, but for some reason they shipped it a week or 10 days ago. I don't like to complain about quick turn around time and speedy service, but I have no idea why they shipped it already.

I don't like setting them out this early but that's the way it goes.

Get tough or die I suppose.

And todays gratuitous picture -