Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Unk Buys Himself a Christmas Gift ............

I broke down and bought myself a new Motorcycle Helmet.
Yep. Bright Ass Yellow.


I want those goofy Bastards in the SUV's to see me coming. MAYBE then they'll quit pulling out in front of me. I ain't holding my breath on that one, but a guy can hope anyway.

The UPS Girl dropped it off this morning. Since it was sunny and 'sposed to get up around 50 degrees .............. I decided to give it a test drive.

I actually took a few minutes to read and figure out how to work all the air vents and installed the breath guard and chin curtain.

The fit is perfect. It's a very comfortable helmet.

First thing I noticed was, even with the faceshield up, my glasses started fogging up. Not good.
I'm not sure why, but that seemed to lessen some the longer I wore it. When you're in motion and riding along it is very quiet and you can really feel the breeze pulling thru the vents. No fogging when you're moving. Fogs like a bitch when you slow down or stop though.

This may be a combination of -
1) The Weatherman lied. It never got above 42 degrees.
2) I haven't figured out the proper configuration of the vents yet to maximize the air flow.
3) The SOB if just like that and I'm gonna be pissed.

Right now I'm afraid it's #3. I rode for about 4 hours to test it and I had to crack the shield open every time I came to a stop. This doesn't look good for those Summer rain days. Days when cracking open the shield allows rain to get on the inside of the shield and makes you look through spots you're unable to wipe away.

Speaking of that. The shield locks down and seals like a champ.

Damn. I may call New Enough tomorrow and ask them about this shit. I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do at this point. New Enough is a great company and I doubt they would give me any grief about sending it back.

If the weatherman isn't lying again, I'll take another ride tomorrow and see if it's any better in warmer weather.

I really like the helmet. But shit, for as much money as the damn thing cost, I'd expect less fogging. We'll see what developes.