Monday, November 06, 2006

More Bridge BS .............

I got totally crossed up trying to find this last bridge. I was basically "winging it" all day today and had done remarkably well navigating on mostly unmarked county roads up till this last one. But hey, it all worked out and I got to ride some very nice roads in the process. It's all good.

This is the Guilford Bridge. No info on length, but as you can see, A. M. Kennedy and Sons 1879. Those boys were busy.














This bridge appears to have been moved to it's present location. It's sitting in a small park and Tanners Creek is only 100 feet from where it's sitting now. Another Arch type construction.

Here's a picture of the Westport Bridge to show you what I mean by Arch Type -




Here's a (somewhat blurry) picture of the Scipio Bridge with the Howe Truss Design, for comparison -

It seems the longer bridges were Truss design. There is a very long, multi-span covered bridge not far from here I'm going to get over to soon. It's nice that there are a zillion of these things in a relatively close distance from my place. Should be fun.

There is a Covered Bridge in the county park where I grew up at that I believe was a Kennedy bridge. I know it was moved there but I don't remember when or from where. I'll have to look it up and share, if you're interested. Oh hell, I'm interested and that's all that matters really. It's not like I'm gonna upset a lot of people. Take a look at the sitemeter and you'll know what I mean.

These bridges are pretty cool and I've developed an interest in them this summer. I'll have to start doing some research on them and see where it goes. If any of you have anything to add, please feel free.

You'll notice I haven't made any gratuitous "Bridge + Kennedy" jokes yet either. Trust me, that took effort on my part. Feel free to give it your best in the comments if you like.

All in all a good day. spent almost 8 hours out riding backroads. About 200 miles and my ass was getting sore when I got home. That's lame and shows how little I've been riding this year. My butt shouldn't be sore at the 200 mile mark. Especially with all the stops I made.

And a picture of the 2001 Kawasaki Concours, just because I love it.