Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Oh My Aching Back ....

I look at this picture and marvel.

I can barely get up and down today. Yesterday morning I went out to feed the chickens before work. No big deal, just another day at the GrumpyUnk Command and Control Bunker, right?

Wrong. I started pouring feed into the feeder and WHAM!!! Instant pain. Dropped me to my knees. Pain from my knees all the way to my head. My low back felt like someone stabbed my with a very big, very hot, knife.

This did not, nor does it continue to please me at all. This isn't the first time shit like this has happened. But damn, it's so unexpected and sudden, there's no way you can prepare yourself for it when it does happen.

I hurt so bad, I had to have the wife drive me to work. I took some Motrin and shuffled around in pain and applied an icepack. The Boss asked me if I needed to go home, but I declined. By hanging around and providing, even limited help, I feel I gain the moral high ground and superiority over all the Zombie losers that come whining into the ER with their little chickenshit complaints.

I may be less than stellar physically and in severe pain, but at least I try to contribute. In the ER, my biggest contribution isn't my strong back anyway.

Thankfully, I'm off for the next couple of days. I got up early this morning and hit the medicine jar, so I'm semi-numb now. Not "Comfortably Numb", but tolerable. And addle-brained. So if this all sounds sorta rambling, there's a pharmacological reason for that. I'm sure a nap is in the offing sometime later today.